- Introduction to the participatory World Wide Web (Web 2.0) and to social media;
- Search Magic: How to conduct advanced multilingual online searches;
- Information Self Service: How to get selected information served to you via alerts and RSS feeds;
- Remote collaboration: How to develop content remotely using wikis and Google Docs;
- Online mapping: How to locate your organisation and your projects on an online map;
Monday, July 2, 2012
Web 2.0 and Social Media Learning Opportunity September 24-28, 2012
Venue: Moi University, Main Campus, School of Information Sciences, Eldoret, Kenya,
Dates: September 24-28, 2012
Technological innovation is taking place at a breath-taking pace. Simple, open source internet-based applications and services designed to enhance on-line collaboration are now available to the wider public at little or no cost at all. These new online technologies known as Web 2.0 and Social Media applications enable people to collaborate to create, share and publish information.
The Technical Centre for Agricultural and Rural Cooperation EU-ACP (CTA) has a mandate to facilitate access to and dissemination of information in the fields of agriculture and rural development in 78 countries in Africa, the Caribbean and the Pacific (ACP). Supporting the adoption of Web 2.0 applications represents a great opportunity for meeting it.
Moi University, School of Information Sciences in collaboration with CTA will host a 5-day Web 2.0 Learning Opportunity on 24-28 September, 2012. Participants will be introduced to selected web 2.0 applications including social media and will learn how to use them hands-on.
The Learning Opportunity will cover advanced online searching, getting information served via alerts and RSS, collaborating remotely using wikis and Google Docs, using VoIP, online mapping and social networking. Participants will get a chance to see what others have done, get hands-on experience on how to use innovative applications, and assess how they could adopt these innovations within the context of their work and organisation.
These Learning Opportunity form part of CTA initiatives that support development partners in networking, accessing and disseminating information more effectively.
Programme of the Learning Opportunity
· How to communicate voice over the internet at no cost;
· Online publishing (micro-blogging and blogging);
· Professional / corporate social networking (LinkedIn and Facebook);
· Web 2.0 self-instruction (introduction to IMARK)
Participants - Eligibility and responsibilities
Participation in the Learning Opportunity is free of charge, but subject to acceptance by the organisers. 25 participants will be accepted for the event.
· be computer literate and conversant with browsing the Internet;
· have regular access to a computer (ownership of a computer is an advantage);
· be in a position to take along a WIFI-enabled laptop to the training;
· be competent in the use of the English language;
· have an active e-mail account;
· be actively engaged in agriculture and rural development / natural resource management / biodiversity conservation in the domains of ICT for development (ICT4D), policies, markets; publishing, communication and media; and
· be resident in Kenya;
Accepted participants will be responsible for all costs related to their travel to and from the venue at Moi University, Main Campus, School of Information Sciences, their accommodation, breakfast and supper, their daily subsistence allowances, and for bringing their own WIFI-enabled laptop to the Learning opportunity.
During each event, the organisers will provide lunch and refreshments and distribute copies of CTA publications and instructional material.
How to apply
If you are interested in applying, please click on this link to complete the online form.
Deadline for applications: August 16, 2012
The organisers will inform successful applicants about the status of their application two week before the commencement of the course. Successful applicants will receive confirmation letters and others will also be duly informed of the results of their application.